This page has moved to a new address.

What it All Boils Down To: Obedience

A Year in the Spiritual Life... Discover Your Purpose: What it All Boils Down To: Obedience

Monday

What it All Boils Down To: Obedience

A Kiss From God

Sometimes there are moments so special, so amazing, they take your breath away. Sometimes those moments are share-able and sometimes they are just love notes from God. A way to show He cares, He sees, He approves of and loves you. 

I had one of those moments yesterday. A love note, wrapped in an email, from someone I have never met. Her name is Sabrina. She had a dream of a Barbie that looked fine in the box, but was in a state of brokenness. The dream made such an impression, she knew God was trying to show her something. So, when she awoke, she googled "my brokenness" and discovered my blog, complete with Barbie and a title about brokenness.... 

Then she discovered my book, and got that too. 

This isn't about another book sale. This isn't about another blog subscriber. This isn't even about me.

This is about God's faithfulness to His kids. 

Taste and See

 "O taste and see that the Lord is good: blessed is the man that trust in him." Psalms 34:8 

In the desert God supplied the Children of Israel with manna from heaven. This met their basic need for food. It was a sign of God's love and faithfulness to His children. The Bible is full of stories of God's love and provision. 

Here is another one about a woman named Ruth. She was a widow, not even a Jew, and she left all she knew to serve her aging mother-in-law and accompany her back home. She was lonely, poor, and practically homeless. Yet, for Ruth, God provided favor and blessings and a second husband. Through this provision- generations and generations later - God supplied the earthly  lineage of Jesus. Jesus was a gift for all people. Freely given, and the perfect sign of God's love for us.  

I guess what I am getting at is this. We think God's provision is just about us. Sometimes it is.Sometimes it is about meeting a need, like hunger. The manna in the desert met that need. Sometimes, and probably more often than we know, it is about setting us up for provision so we can in turn, be a conduit for God to provide something for someone else.

It's not about us! 

This is the Lord's faithfulness in action. He set up a blog a little over a year ago, in an unknown corner of the world WIDE web and one of the things it did was meet a need for a woman in San Antonio named Sabrina. Did that have anything to do with me? Yes and no. 

The Power of Obedience

Yes, it had something to do with me. It is after all my blog and my book, but that is where things get tricky. It doesn't have anything to do with my talent, or my ability. For without Christ I can do nothing, "but with God all things are possible.

It boils down to obedience. 

When we obey the voice of the Lord, that small whisper that prompts us to do the uncomfortable thing, the hard thing, the impossible thing, we give Him the room to work in our lives, and unbeknownst to us, in the lives of people thousands of miles and many generations past us. 

I obeyed 13 months ago and began a blog and this weekend, someone I never met, received the encouragement they needed for their lives. This is how God works. 


"Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever." Hebrews 13:8 NIV 


He provided for the children of Israel, and He provided for Ruth, and He provided for you and I. God is not like man, He does not change or waiver. He works the same today as He did thousands of years and hundreds of generations ago: through people

Someone once said to me "We cry out for more of Jesus, but sometimes what we really need is to give Jesus more of ourselves."

What have we got to lose? What has the world got to gain? Surrender and obey so you too can taste and see that the Lord is GOOD! 

Join the Conversation

What is God whispering to you about? Leave your comment below. 

Subscribe

If you like what you read here and want to get more great content, then click the "Subscribe to our Newsletter" link below. Fill out that short form and confirm your subscription by checking your email. It is as easy as that! I won't sell your info and I won't spam you. Oh- and I will give you the PDF version of my children's story "The Gardener and the Sapling" for FREE. You can print it up and read it to your little ones, or share it with someone you love. The message in it is timeless!


Subscribe to our newsletter


Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,