This page has moved to a new address.

Have It All?

A Year in the Spiritual Life... Discover Your Purpose: Have It All?

Saturday

Have It All?

There are moments, when I am up at dawn, planning out my day, looking at the pile of work I have to do and feeling overwhelmed because my time management has not been up to par that I wonder “How am I going to do it all?”

Not exactly a Proverbs 31 woman kind of question. 


In my head a woman who is “the proverbs 31” woman is up at dawn with a project going, make-up on, no hair curlers left in her hair, praying over her house and children, making breakfast and kissing her husband as he heads off to work.

Instead I am up, haven’t showered yet, I have prepped the ribs I am going to barbecue later, helped my 16 year old put on her false eyelashes for a modeling gig, did a load of dishes, checked out Twitter and Facebook, and now am writing this.

Sans the hair and make-up I have not done too poorly. Then how come I feel so overwhelmed and dissatisfied?

I am doing more than I have ever done before. I am maintaining a household in a higher standard, though it is not up to the level I want it yet. I am praying and studying more than ever, and I still feel like I don’t study enough. I have small successes and even little Kisses from God, and I “feel” like it is not enough.

So what is the problem? I am.

The word says to be content in whatever circumstances I am in because God’s grace is sufficient. I also know that there is a difference between conviction, God’s spirit prompting me to repent and change, and condemnation, feeling bad for no reason other than to feel bad.

I need to let go of the pressure I put on myself to get it all done right now! I need to relax and enjoy the moments I have, and when I get more done than I planned, THEN I can be impressed rather than depressed.

So my hair isn’t perfectly blown out and styled. So what I have a day that is packed with “to do’s” and not enough time “to do”. My world will not come to a screeching halt because something fell through the cracks this once.

I need to stop living by my feelings and begin living by God’s word. I know He says I am his child, joint heirs with His son Jesus, and I have a purpose. I will keep plugging away at that: sowing – sowing - sowing into what He has told me to do, and let Him bring the increase.

I am not meant to do it all, I am meant to have God as my All in All.

Question: Have you felt pressure to get it “all” done before? How do you handle that?

Labels: , , , , , , ,