This page has moved to a new address.

Does Social Media Affect Your Walk With Christ?

A Year in the Spiritual Life... Discover Your Purpose: Does Social Media Affect Your Walk With Christ?

Monday

Does Social Media Affect Your Walk With Christ?

I am a self-professed geek! 


I love the internet, gadgets, and social media. 

If you have somehow come across this blog and do not understand social media then let me explain. Social Media is made up of communities like Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Foursquare, Pintrest, MySpace, and many other sites

Your use of these sites is self-determined and voluntary. Like anything, it can be over-used. Each community has it’s own purpose, and there are benefits to each site. I do not use all, though I have tried every one at some time or another. 



With the world becoming more and more digital, soon there will not be any generation that is not tech savvy, though usage declines with age

So in a world were digital media is on the rise, and we continue to use things like smart phones, tablets, and laptops do we have an obligation to impact this digital age for Christ? 

For me the answer is YES! 


Facebook is littered with “Like if you Love Jesus” messages, and there are Twitter accounts dedicated publishing a scripture an hour, but are these things effective? 

Recently, I ran across a blog post that said the author was “criticized by a pastor for promoting my blog on Twitter and Facebook. He said these sorts of actions made me guilty of self-promotion”. 

Then I read in Michael Hyatt’s new book Platform: Get Noticed in a Noisy World, (more on that later) that Twitter actually made him more aware of his online reputation and impact. 

So I want to ask you this, how does social media impact your Christian walk?

Labels: , , , , , , ,