This page has moved to a new address.

Give Me a Break!

A Year in the Spiritual Life... Discover Your Purpose: Give Me a Break!

Monday

Give Me a Break!

Photo Credit: Dayna Bickham

I am my harshest critic.


I often put myself down before anyone has the chance. I have a self-deprecating humor that is so sharp it would cut someone to the quick if ever directed toward anyone else.

I know God operates in grace and mercy toward me but I have none toward myself. This has to stop.

I cannot have a higher standard than my Father has for me. His ways are perfect. His law is the standard of holiness, but I was never meant to live by it.

The problem with the Law 


No one can live by the full law. That is why Jesus came. He was a spotless lamb: a perfect sacrifice for our sins. For once and all he paid the price of our short comings so we could have access to the Father like never before: a relationship as a son; as a daughter.

Living by the law leads to failure. Enough failings and we begin to feel worthless. This is why religion is so dangerous.

Religion says live a certain way to be accepted by God. Relationship that comes from grace says you are accepted by God and this causes you to live a certain way.

By Grace we are saved and by grace we should live. Otherwise we count what Jesus did for us as nothing. 

Unworthy but Not Worthless


We are not worthless. We are of great worth. God thought so when He gave the ultimate price of His son to win the prize of you and I. He counted the cost and was willing to pay it all. We are of high worth but unworthy.

So when I am hard on myself I am putting down the Father’s daughter: a child of the King. I have been redeemed and bought by the highest price. I am the righteousness of God in Christ Jesus.

Perhaps you have struggled with self-worth. Have you made one joke too many at your own expense? Have you felt like there is no way you can fully commit to this Christianity thing because you can’t live by all the rules? Are you your harshest critic?

There is something I want to tell you. There is freedom, not oppression in Christ. There is grace and there is love and mercy. Jesus said the whole law (rules) can be sized up in two things: Love God and love people. 

That Means Me


I am people. I need to love myself too. I need to give “me” a break, and get out of my own way and let God do the work in me He created me for. We are here for a purpose, but we need to know one thing: unless grace works in us and through us we are like Don Quixote, tilting at windmills.

Living by a standard is not a bad thing, but living by grace is so much better.

Question: How can you give yourself a “break” today?

Labels: , , , , , , , ,