This page has moved to a new address.

Learn Like an Olympian

A Year in the Spiritual Life... Discover Your Purpose: Learn Like an Olympian

Thursday

Learn Like an Olympian

Olympian Photo Credit: Creative Commons

Discipline is tough.


It means doing the things you really do not like to do so you can later do the things you want to do.

Talking about finances, Dave Ramsey says “If you will live like no one else, later you can live like no one else.”

This is true about our life in general too.

Personally  


I love to stay up. Naturally I am a night person. I can get into a routine that has me up until five a.m. and sleeping until 3 p.m. But I cannot live that way anymore.

God is dealing with me to get up at 5 a.m. and spend time with Him. Then write and do the work that I must do to live my dream later. This is pushing me to go to bed between 10 and 11 p.m. This is difficult for me. Yet I must learn to obey.

Learn Like an Olympian 


With the 2012 Olympic Games in London coming soon the example of an athlete is applicable.

· Athletes sacrifice in the present to gain reward in the future.

· Athletes are focused on their purpose.

· Athletes listen to and obey their coach.

· Athletes live a scheduled life.

· Athletes control their bodies and their minds.

· Athletes are not afraid of the hard work and a little sweat.

If we attack our lives like an athlete, then discipline becomes routine and will strengthen us in ways we did not foresee.

2 Timothy 2:4-7 says this:

“Nobody who serves in the military gets tied up with civilian matters, so that they can please the one who recruited them. Also in the same way, athletes don’t win unless they follow the rules. A hardworking farmer should get the first share of the crop. Think about what I’m saying; the Lord will give you understanding about everything.” (CEB)

What about you?


Are you challenged to do something you do not want to do or something you find difficult to do?

There is great benefit in heeding the Holy Spirit here.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,