This page has moved to a new address.

Q & A Conclusion of the Prioritize Your Life Series

A Year in the Spiritual Life... Discover Your Purpose: Q & A Conclusion of the Prioritize Your Life Series

Tuesday

Q & A Conclusion of the Prioritize Your Life Series

Today we wrap up the Prioritize Your Life series with a Question and Answer session. If you asked a question last week, you may find it here. If you didn't you may find one here that you identify with because I picked the most universal ones I could to answer. These questions are by some people I really admire as well. Check out their links and find out what they are all about! 

I hope you have enjoyed this series. If you have found something you do not agree with, or feel like I missed something important, then please join the conversation by leaving a comment below! I want to hear from you! 

Enjoy the Q & A below:

Tor Constantino Asked:

Dayna, I think one of the challenges with priorities is ranking them. If everything's a priority, then nothing really is. What recommendation do you have for those who have trouble separating true priorities from the pack?

(Tor Blogs at http://www.thedailyretort.com)

Ranking is a challenge. If we look at priorities as a standard (read banner) over an area of our lives to which we always strive to move toward in our lives it will help us become less bogged down by the priority itself. Remember that Jesus said “…Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?” These are details. Later in the same chapter at the end of the discussion Jesus was having he said this: “But seek ye first the kingdom of God, (A Standard) and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.”

Remember that in life we cannot have nor do it all. Some things have to be less important than others. By definition a priority is more important because it is “given special attention”. Ultimately how many priorities you have is up to you. However, of you stop looking at priorities as a list of “to do’s” and more of a standard of living then it may take some of the pressure off.

I hope this helps.



Bobbie Cole Asked:



I like it that, in his Life Plan Book, Michael Hyatt puts himself second to God on his list of priorities. His rationale is that, if he doesn't look after himself, he cannot do any of the things that follow on his list of priorities, such as being there for his wife, bringing up his children and helping colleagues. Do you agree?



Bobbie, this is a great question! I have to start off by saying this: priorities are highly personal, and while some priorities (God, family, career, and ministry) might be the same, for many some priorities will not translate well.

I read Michael’s book and loved it. When I was trying to do all the exercises and list out my priorities exactly like he did do you know what happened? I kept forgetting the “myself” one. For me, it did not fit. I love the idea. After all, even God calls us vessels to be filled and to pour out, right?

I think the thing we have to do after we create our “list” of priorities is to live with them for a while and make adjustments as needed. I probably do need to make myself more of a priority more… I could use the exercise at least…lol. Recently, Luther Davis, who died just before his 90th birthday told someone “If I knew I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of my body.”

Even such a great man, who I admired greatly had trouble with the “myself” part of his life.

Priorities are personal and the only person who will be able to set them and live by them is you.

Thanks for this question!


Rebecca Livermore Asked:

(Rebecca is genius in all things design. Check her out at http://www.professionalcontentcreation.com/ )

How do you deal with the priorities that other people have for you? For example, spouses, children, employers, clients, friends -- all of them may have things they want you to do and feel you are letting them down if you don't live up to their priorities for you. Of course, I'm only talking about those who are key people in your life, not just random people. :)


This is a great question Rebecca! I have to say that outside pressures to be and do certain things are stressors that many of us have. Sometimes these stressors can be presented as priorities when really they are diversions. They divert our energy, our focus; even our hearts can be diverted.

This is one reason God says “guard your heart”.

I want to encourage you and anyone who identifies with this question to live in a place of peace. We will be buffeted by people, by storms, by critics, by family, and by strangers. This is life. But if we live with a standard (priority/banner) over an area of our life, it will block some of the attack (like a personal umbrella) and in times where we stray too far away from that standard (because we were diverted) then that standard (priority/banner) can act like a beacon to lead us back where we want to be.

I want you to stop for a second and think of your life as a dart board. You are the bull’s-eye. Immediately around you (the next circle) is your husband, then the next circle is your kids, then extended family, then work etc…

Now, do you have that image in your mind? Good, now answer this: What can you really control in the dart board? What do you really have the responsibility for and over?

The answer is YOU!

You can influence the other circles, but you are the only thing you really have control over. Set your standards (priorities) and share those with the people you care about. Let them know where you are in your heart and mind and do not waiver. They will respect you more l for taking a stand than for caving into their demands.


Heidi Kreider Asked:

(Heidi is a published author and blogs at http://heidikreider.com/)

What do you do when you feel as if God is changing your priorities and your direction but not everyone agrees?


Heidi, first I would say Trust and Obey! Trust that if God is changing things for you, He will let your spouse know. He will bring your kids around. Yet ultimately (see dart board analogy above) you have to be the one who obeys.

Here is something that comes to mind about obedience. If you had two children and one of them never did his chore, but instead talked his sister into doing it every time, is your son really obeying? The chore got done, but did he truly obey you?

What if he told you that it was not a priority for him to take out the trash every night, it was more your deal than his? Would that fly?

What if he constantly told you “I’ll take out the trash when… (fill in the blank)”

God is a Father. We are his kids. Are you going to obey, or wait because you don’t think things are quite perfect yet?

Obedience is better. Trust is better. God sees more than you do. This is why Jesus asks us to die to ourselves. When we lay down “our” concerns, God takes them up.

Jesus is your advocate, so let the detractors complain. The one we need to please is God: no one else.


Dana Pittman
Asked:

(Dana blogs at danapittman.com)

My priority questions come from transitioning from where I am to where God is calling me. Where I am pays the bills? :) Where I am going is going to take a lot of time and effort. I'm sure some finances will come but for now they are nonexistent.


I want to direct you to Heidi’s question and answer and just add this: Step out in FAITH! If God is telling you to GO GO GO then what are you doing stuck at the starting line? Run your race girl. God gave it to you to RUN!

“If any of you is deficient in wisdom, let him ask of [a]the giving God [Who gives] to everyone liberally and ungrudgingly, without reproaching or faultfinding, and it will be given him” James 1:5



Pilar Arsenec Asked:

(Pilar blogs at http://www.ordinaryservant.com/)

I just find myself just scrambling to just get things done. My priorities become the demands of my job and my family. I have to be honest and say that I squeeze everything else in which includes time alone with God.


Pilar, we have to live with intention. Otherwise we react to life rather than move through life toward goals.

First I want to tell you I understand what you mean. There are days I just feel bombarded by everyone else and feel like there is nothing I can do to change it. But there is! Change comes first from within. Determine in yourself that you will live life with intention. Write down those priorities and goals. If you still feel like they are unobtainable then do what Michael Hyatt suggests in his book “Life Plan” and work backwards.

If you have a priority and it feels like there is no way for you to live up to it, and then ask yourself this question: What would have to be true to make this reality?

The answer to that question is will help you focus more, and trim some of the "fat" from your life that is diverting your attention from the things that matter.

No matter where you are right now though, you cannot live in condemnation! Stop beating yourself up for not being perfect. No one is except Jesus. We strive to be more like Him. Sometimes we fall short. That is what grace is for. Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start again.

One of my favorite things to say is “God’s got this!” and whatever your “this” is, I promise, He has it!

                                                ______________________________________________________

I hope you have liked this series and found value in it. Please, leave you questions and comments below to join the discussion! 

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,