This page has moved to a new address.

A Friend that Sticks Closer than a Sister

A Year in the Spiritual Life... Discover Your Purpose: A Friend that Sticks Closer than a Sister

Saturday

A Friend that Sticks Closer than a Sister

Photo Credit: Creative Commons

When Friendship Dies

I had a friend, who I thought would be with me through thick and thin.

It was more like mediocre and thin.

I thought we were like sisters. We finished each other's sentences.

We laughed at the same things, we even disciplined our kids in the same way.

Things began to change about a year ago when I began pursuing God more and she pursued Him less. Running in opposite directions we covered a lot of ground that created the gap between us. I reached out one day, and there was no one there.

Instead her marriage was on the rocks, she was a partying machine, she was angry at me for dropping our friendship, and bitter with God.

I cannot tell you how sad I have been about the whole situation, because loosing someone is hard. She may be alive, but I mourn for her and our dead friendship nonetheless.

A Friend That Sticks Closer than A Sister


As we pursue God with all our heart, our soul, and mind things will change. Spending time in the Father's presence will create a new creature with a new heart and a renewed mind.

If I am honest with myself and with you, it was a friendship that was not healthy for me spiritually. We fed off of each other more than we fed off the goodness and instructions of God. I was too wrapped up in what she thought,and in what she said to have room to pursue or listen to God.

I understand why this friendship needed to die, but it leaves me sad too.

But I have hope.

I have Hope that God has a plan and a purpose. There are moments I feel sad about this friend, but then I think of all God has given me in exchange.

I am happier, healthier, stronger, and firmer in my faith. My marriage is even better, because I spend less time running around with her and more time in my home with my husband. My kids are not ignored because I spend more time with her than I did with them.

Why am I telling you this on Sister to Sister Saturday?

Because you may have a relationship right now that you know needs to change. (You won't have to think about it, this person's face is probably already in your head as you read this.)

As you try and draw closer to God, there are things and sometimes people you have to leave behind. He is a holy God and He longs to make you into the image of His son.

I do not want you to concentrate on what you will lose though. I want you to concentrate on what you will gain.

Matthew 10:39 "If you try to save your life, you will lose it. But if you give it up for me, you will surely find it." (CEV)

Join the conversation: 


Have you ever walked away from a friendship before? What did you learn from that?  

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,