This page has moved to a new address.

Mountains - To Climb or Not to Climb?

A Year in the Spiritual Life... Discover Your Purpose: Mountains - To Climb or Not to Climb?

Tuesday

Mountains - To Climb or Not to Climb?


Big or small mountains are not fun to climb. Each of us has them- at one time or another- and every time we face a new one the challenge can seem insurmountable. 



I know that when I have looked back at some of the mountains I have faced in my life, one of two things go through my mind.


1- "I called THAT a mountain?" or 2- "I know that only God brought me through THAT!" 

If you are alive, and I would hope that if you are reading this it means you still have a pulse- you have faced mountains. You might be facing one now. I am just writing this to encourage you to be strong.

Easy to say right?


Well, I can honestly say- no- it is not easy. Intellectually and spiritually when facing a mountain we can feel insignificant or overwhelmed. I have been there. I know. Have I faced every mountain with faith, composer, dignity, strength, and determination? No- but I know it can be done, because my Lord said it can be.

"Jesus replied, "I tell you the truth, if you have faith and do not doubt, not only can you do what was done to the fig tree, but also you can say to thismountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and it will be done". Matthew 21:21

You might be thinking- 'Dayna- you don't know- my mountain is so big I can't even seem to get out of bed today'. This is the enemy and his name is depression.

Depression can be mild, (man I am bummed I did not get that job!) or it can be severe (thoughts of suicide, mood swings, uncontrolled malaise, and general apathy toward your situation and your world).

First Things First


First I have to say that if you feel like you are in severe depression- seek medical help. Your regular physician can diagnose and treat you. You do not have to seek out a therapist right away, but you should. If you are suicidal TELL SOMEONE NOW. Help is available. (more on this later)

Personally I have dealt with depression. I have had postpartum depression, clinical depression, and have had to commit my husband (several years ago) to a hospital. He was so severely depressed that thoughts of suicide were all-consuming for him. I have seen both sides. I know that when you are depressed you face a mountain with little if any ability to overcome by yourself. 

But it can be done.


Jeremiah 15:20I will make you a wall to this people, a fortified wall of bronze; they will fight against you but will not overcome you, for I am with you to rescue and save you," declares the LORD.

God's whole plan for man after the fall of Adam and Eve was a plan of rescue. That is why He sent Jesus. To save us. This salvation is complete and it is permanent. Just because your circumstances have changed does not mean you are not loved just as much now as when God made this plan in the first place.

2 Corinthians 6:2 For he says, "In the time of my favor I heard you, and in the day of salvation I helped you." [ Isaiah 49:8] I tell you, NOW is the time of God's favor, now is the day of salvation.

and

Philippians 2:12 Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed— not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence— continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose. Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe as you hold out the word of LIFE...

God is in the rescue business...daily.  


Why? 

Because of His unending and undying love for us. The cry of your heart, as you face your mountain- whether or not you face it depressed- is for wholeness, healing, and salvation. 

These things God provides.

Good counsel in these times- these face the mountain and can I take the next step times- is imperative. 

If you attend a good church, seek help with your pastor. They are the sheep with bells on. They are on the fore-front of ministry and are down in the trenches with you. This is a great place to seek Biblical and (most importantly) Holy Spirit guidance for your life. 

If you don't have a good church, find one. If church is not something you think you can handle, get over yourself. We all need a family, and though flawed, a church family can add tremendous support when going through "it".

The Father said:

Psalm 32:8I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you and watch over you.

The psalmist said:

Psalm 73:24You guide me with your counsel, and afterward you will take me into glory.

Glory. Sounds like standing on top of that Mountain doesn't it?

Facing mountains, especially if you feel you are facing one alone can be daunting. But you do not have to be alone. The Lord made you, called you to be His, and longs to love you through the biggest circumstances...all the way to glory.

If you have never prayed before, or if the closest you came to praying was at the dinner table, then talk to the Father now. That is all prayer is...talking to the Father.

"Father, you see where I am and all that I have done and been in my life. Forgive me for my short comings and bring me to life. Thank you for rescuing me. Thank you for Jesus. Amen"

You are now God's child, his son or daughter. If you are already His, and feel that the mountain is too big, remember there is NOTHING too big for God. When He is for us, who (or what) could possibly stand against us?

When you look at the greatness of the Father, and his sheer awesome ability to bring you out of any situation- mountains begin to look like mo-hills...

What kind of mountain are you facing right now?


If you liked this post read more about battling Depression God's way here. 

Labels: , , , , , , ,