This page has moved to a new address.

Peaches and the Proverbs 31 Woman

A Year in the Spiritual Life... Discover Your Purpose: Peaches and the Proverbs 31 Woman

Thursday

Peaches and the Proverbs 31 Woman

I am a Domestic Diva...almost. 

I told you in my Proverbs 31 series that I wanted to be a better homemaker. That includes trying new things like canning my own preserves. Yes, I made these! Don't be so surprised! 

I actually wanted to cook something to "de-stress" a bit because things have been a little hairy around here lately. While I cooked these preserves I actually thought "this is the little stuff that makes serving my family fun, even when I am feeling a little stressed as a mom".  

I was canning fruit to serve my family but I was working through a heart issue with God as I did. I was hurt by something a child had done. Not any child, my child. My response was not as loving as it should have been. I was not walking in grace toward her as I should have been. 


My first mistake was thinking her mistake had something to do with me. Ego much? The second mistake was making her question in any way the love I have for her. I want to preserve my relationship with my children, especially when that relationship is under pressure, but the most important thing is for them to bare fruit, and to be sealed by God. 

See? God can even use peaches to teach me a valuable lesson as a mom. 

Okay, enough of the canning metaphors.  


I had to share these fun pictures of an easy do-it-yourself Peach Preserves. 


The ratio is 1 to 1 so adjust as you want if you decide to do these yourself and want more than I got here! This yields about 8 to 10 half pint jars of preserves. 


The Ingredients: 



5 cups Ripe Peaches
5 cups sugar 
1 box Ball(TM) Fruit Pectin 
water to cover (when blanching- you will discard)
2 cups water to cook peaches after de-skinning and de-pitting
1/2 cup Lemon Juice





The Recipe: 

1. Boil Peaches for one minute and then place in a water bath to shock them. (This helps keep that pretty peach color later)
2. Remove skin and pits from peach flesh. Cut peach flesh into small pieces. (If you want to blend them for a smoother consistency like a jelly go ahead. I did and I think it is worth it!)
3. Place the diced (or blended) peaches back in a pot, add sugar, fruit pectin , and lemon juice. Bring to a boil stirring constantly.
(The faster they are brought to a boil the more color you keep)
4. Once they have boiled for five minutes turn off flame and begin placing in washed and sterilized canning jars leaving 1/2 inch headroom needed for expansion.
5. Place lid and rings on.
6a. For water bath canning: place cans in large pot with three to five inches of hot water in the bottom. Place jars in the pot with something between the pot and the jars. I use extra rings spread around in the bottom. This keeps the jars off of the direct heat and will help prevent your jars from breaking. The water will rise over jars. (see picture below) 


Heat to boiling for 25 minutes. You should hear "pop" noises as the lids seal. (Test lids after they cool to make sure lids stayed sealed)
Once time is up, remove to cool. If lids have not sealed you can repeat this step.
6b. For pressure canners (ALWAYS FOLLOW YOUR CANNER'S INSTRUCTIONS) place jars in canner. Cook for eight minutes using 6 lbs. of pressure. 


This whole process only took about an hour and 1/2. If you try this, won't you share your results with us? 


Has God ever used something common place, like canning, to teach you a lesson before? What was it?  




If you liked this post, you may like: Have it All?  and Waste Not Want Not: A Proverbs 31 Household Hint. 

Labels: , , , , , ,