This page has moved to a new address.

A Mom Moment: The Pre-Graduation Meltdown

A Year in the Spiritual Life... Discover Your Purpose: A Mom Moment: The Pre-Graduation Meltdown

Tuesday

A Mom Moment: The Pre-Graduation Meltdown


She is graduating! 

I am a little freaked out right now. 

In less than four days, my 16 year old daughter will be graduating early. 

She has earned it; she has worked hard to overcome a learning disability and done four years of high school in one year. By the end of today she should have all her course work done. 

I am proud of her, but I am also a little overwhelmed with the idea that my life is about to change as I know it. 

She is my baby. I remember bringing her home from the hospital and the 2:00 am feedings. Now she is nearly grown and has accomplished so much. She has such a bright future ahead of her. 

This is one of those moments. You know the ones: that moment when I will forever look at her differently and things change forever. 

My role as a mom will be changing in the next few years as well. I will begin the process of letting go. 

I am not sure how to do that. 

I was a horrible mother to her in the beginning. I was demanding, borderline abusive, and mean. It took counseling, prayer, and a lot of love and work to win my daughter. I say win because I had lost her through bad parenting and had to reclaim her as mine and earn a relationship back with her- all in 16 short years. 

Now I cling to the prize fiercely. I was given Sarah by God, and now I must begin to let her go, just a little, and trust God that He has her and knows what is best for her. 

She is only 16. Life is just beginning for her, I am just glad she still needs her mom- at least, for a while. 

This is just one of those moments, and I want to remember it forever. 

Have you had a moment you want to remember forever? Share it with us in the comments below.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,