This page has moved to a new address.

Design Dabble or Do

A Year in the Spiritual Life... Discover Your Purpose: Design Dabble or Do

Friday

Design Dabble or Do

I dabble.

I dabble in art, pretending there is talent there when there is not. I love to sculpt. It is therapeutic for me. It allows me to slow down and just be creative in a different way than writing.

Often, I begin to believe my own press and think of myself as a “sculptor” but I am not. I am a dabbler.

Sometimes I see a beautiful work of art and wonder to myself “why can’t I do something this amazing?”

Art for art’s sake is usually not good art. Usually it looks more like a craft project from summer camp more than something a curator of the modern art museum would put in the sculpture garden. I was not made to be a great artist. It is okay that I say this, because it is true. 

Some of my attempts at Art.


So why do I sculpt? I do it for me. It is the same with writing.

I will win no Pulitzers. I will not appear on The Today Show celebrating my award winning book turning into an award winning manuscript or tween movie.

I write for me. I write because I was made to. I write because when I wake, my mind is turning over phrases and sentences. I write because I am a writer. I was designed with this in mind. Pen and paper are almost holy to me: they are the tools God gave to me to do what He called me to do.

I am a Writer.


You are what? A singer? A dancer? A musician? A photographer? A ________?

Why do you sing? Why do you dance? Why do you play? Why do you capture the world in pictures? Why do you ________.

Artistic By Design


You were designed to create. After all, we are made in God’s image. He is a Master Creator. He drew the stars and the sunsets. He crafted the fish of the sea and the birds of the air. He sculpted us, and then He breathed His Life into us. His Creative Force is part of our very DNA. We are made to make stuff. 

You may think, I don’t have a talent like that. Do you cook for your family? Do you sew? Do you create creative ways to teach your children new skills or ideas? Then you have a talent. You just have not learned to value it yet.

God created you for a reason and your gift, that thing that makes you spark, is there for a purpose.

“For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope. Jeremiah 29:11

“Listen to me, you islands; hear this, you distant nations: Before I was born the Lord called me; from my mother’s womb he has spoken my name. He made my mouth like a sharpened sword, in the shadow of his hand he hid me; he made me into a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver. He said to me, you are my servant, Israel, in whom I will display my splendor. ” Isaiah 49:1-3

Now Do


Do what you were made for. Do what you were designed for. Do not doubt. Start where you are. Serve where you are. Create where you are. There is purpose in you and a purpose for you. Be faithful and just begin. 

What is your gift?
Share with us in the comments section below.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,