This page has moved to a new address.

The Truth of the Matter

A Year in the Spiritual Life... Discover Your Purpose: The Truth of the Matter

Monday

The Truth of the Matter

Photo Credit: Creative Commons

Stand

There will be moments as you pursue the call of God on your life you will face discouragement. When you will feel battered and bruised. It is hard to face everyday life when you feel this way, much less a full scale battle against the enemy. 

Sometimes when we feel like we have reached the end of us, and our know-how, we do not know where to turn. We have stood for as long as we have known how. Now, how do we go on? 

You will need hope. 

I have been there more times than I care to recount. I have doubted my calling, I have doubted my talent, I have doubted my purpose. I have wondered if what I do matters, or reaches anyone. I have doubted I have what it takes to fulfill the dreams God has placed in me. This is the enemy. He is a liar. 

Doubt is this: actively listening to the lies of the devil rather than standing on the promises of God. Listening to these lies keeps us held back from fully engaging in God's plan for us. We get weighed down in the doubt and do not fully trust the Lord. We need to shake off the lies and begin to grab a hold of what God says so we can be what He has called us to be. 

The Bible has stuff to say about doubt, but I rather talk about the tools God gives us to withstand the assaults of lies that cause doubt in the first place: the armor of God. 

"Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might. Put on the whole armor of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. Wherefore take unto you the whole armor of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness; And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace; Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked. And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God: Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints."  Ephesians 6:10-18

We cannot do this life on our own. We are too weak. God wants us to find our strength in Him. His grace is sufficient for our every need. 

Faith is the opposite of doubt. But blind faith will not last. Your faith must be rooted in something. It must be attached at a centralized location: like the belt of truth. 

The Truth 


The Bible says without knowledge my people parish. It also says "you shall KNOW the truth and the truth shall set you free". Since faith comes by hearing the word of God (the Truth) we need to get the words of God into us. 

There is so much freedom in knowing what God says about any given situation or circumstance. He is the ultimate authority and when we know what He has to say about something, we can fully trust and believe. When we know the truth of a matter, we recognize lies for what they are, and we do not get snared by the little traps those lies set up in our lives. 

When I was feeling conflicted over something this weekend I wrote a small note about who my God is and what He says/does about/for me. I started off thanking Him for who He is and all He has done. Then I began to remind myself of what the word of God says about me. This is what I wrote: 

"Thank the Lord for His mercy, His kindnesses, and His grace. Thank the Lord for His freedom, His love and His never ending song He sings over us. My heart is full of His love. I am in awe. His wonders fill my sight and His lullaby fills my night. My Father loves, like none before. He loves beyond measure. Come, let us adore Him. Let us bow and kneel before our God. Our Maker. The Maker of Heaven, the maker of hell. The Mighty God who stretched forth His hand and when I turned to Him He breathed new life and spoke new life into me. I am alive in Him. My freedom's song is I belong. I belong, I belong, I belong to HIM!
Oh Lord you are faithful. Your mercies are new everyday. You O Lord are my rock and my firm foundation. On you I will stand. I will not look to myself, for I am nothing. In man I know I cannot rely. On you I lean all my understanding, to you I run and find shelter and under your wings I am free from the storm. You are my peace, my rock, and my strong tower. Salvation comes from the Lord. You are endless, your ways are perfect. You will keep me from harm and my feet will not stumble in your Way. I am full. I am well. I am free. I belong! Thank you Lord that you are my Father. You are my song. You are my everything. To you I belong." 
This note is based on many scriptures I have memorized over the years. I basically quoted the truth to myself to build my faith and remind me of whose child I am. This is girding my loins (innermost being) with the belt of truth. This reminds me who I am: what I was made for: fellowship with my Father. I belong to Him. 

By reminding myself of the truth, I am more deeply rooted in my faith. I am shoring up the foundation of who I am in Christ. Now the storms of life can come and I will not be moved. Now the devils lies will be recognized for what they are, because I am firmly rooted in Christ's truth. 

Like the song says "On Christ the solid Rock I stand, all other ground is sinking sand." 

Subscribe!


Like what you read here? More great content is available several times a week, but I understand how busy you are. That is why I offer a free newsletter that sends you an email of the same great content straight to your inbox! You won't have to worry about missing a thing. I will never share your information with anyone, and if you sign up today, you can get a free copy of my children's eBook The Gardener and the Sapling: A Modern Parable. Click the link below and subscribe now!


Join the Conversation: 

Do you find it easy or difficult to memorize scripture? 




Labels: , , , , , , , , ,