This page has moved to a new address.

The Power of Words

A Year in the Spiritual Life... Discover Your Purpose: The Power of Words

Saturday

The Power of Words

Photo Credit: Dayna Bickham CC License 

In the beginning...God said...and there was....

Words.

They have the ability to create and the ability to destroy. They are powerful. This is one way we are like God: our words form our world.

Words also have the amazing ability to linger. They can linger like a sweet perfume if they are positive, or linger like an offensive flatulence.

"You're not good enough." 

"You'll never make it." 

"You won't amount to much." 

"You're not special." 

Words grip our heart, and if we take them in, and do not call them what they are then we open ourselves up to the destruction they bring.

These kinds of words destroy our identity, they destroy our confidence, they kill our hope. They rob us of our future.

"The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy..." John 10:10a

Words like these are the darts of our enemy: fiery and sharp, they are meant to wound, maim; even to kill.

How do we counteract these words? How do we avoid the darts and the farts?

1. We say what God says about us.
2. We pray for our eyes to see what God sees.
3. We actively build our faith. (Faith as a shield: it can withstand any dart)

Do you know the second part of the verse from above?

"I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly." John 10:10b

Through Jesus you can have life. You can have joy. There is no reason to live under the weight of those destructive words anymore!

So now, I want to challenge you. Women, take a pen. Write it down. You are who God says you are.  Now begin to say this anytime you "hear" those words that have hurt you, that the enemy uses to destroy you.

"I am the righteousness of God in Christ. I am fearfully and wonderfully made. I am designed and unique. i am chosen. I have a purpose. I am full of life. Living waters flow out of my belly. I am beautiful. I am a child of the King!" 

I wrote mine down: on my body. It will wash off in a few hours. But I am reclaiming some the territory that Satan has claimed as his, and I am not letting him win any longer.

I am also praying this prayer, won't you join me?

Father, let my words and the meditation of my heart be acceptable to You. Let me see myself as You see me, and forgive me for beating up on Your child, and letting the enemy do the same. I will take Your side from now on. I will say what You say. I will chose to believe what You say concerning me. When I struggle, when I fail, bring me back in line with You once again. Give me a soft heart and a firm faith. In the name of Jesus! Amen. 



Subscribe!


Like what you read here? More great content is available several times a week, but I understand how busy you are. That is why I offer a free newsletter that sends you an email of the same great content straight to your inbox! You won't have to worry about missing a thing. I will never share your information with anyone, and if you sign up today, you can get a free copy of my children's eBook The Gardener and the Sapling: A Modern Parable. Click the link below and subscribe now!


Join the Conversation:

What words did you write down? Leave at least one of the words in the comments below. 

Labels: , , , , , , ,