This page has moved to a new address.

Three Steps to Overcome Your Bad Mood

A Year in the Spiritual Life... Discover Your Purpose: Three Steps to Overcome Your Bad Mood

Monday

Three Steps to Overcome Your Bad Mood

Grumpy "This is my happy face!" Disney Creative Commons

Nerd Alert!

Now is the winter of our discontent Made glorious summer by this son of York; And all the clouds that low'r'd upon our house In the deep bosom of the ocean buried. Richard The Third Act 1, scene 1, 1–4


I am a Shakespeare fan. I love plays and iambic pentameter aside, Shakespeare knew how to tell a story. In high school as a freshman and sophomore I was writing A-level papers for my Senior friends on Macbeth and Hamlet. 

Today I shared this little tidbit for a reason: the quote above is less about Shakespeare and more about me. Last  night, well, this whole weekend, I have been in a funk! I wanted to start of this post like this: 


"Now is the hour of my discontent..."  

What About You? 

Have you felt ever like that? Discontented? 

(Why do I have a vision of Horshack from Welcome Back Kotter in my head right now? Are you raising your hand?) 

God loves me even in my foul mood. This good news begins to stir up in me a hope and a light-ness that dispels even the darkest mood. 

Funny little things like an encouraging tweet from Joyce Meyer Ministries in the morning remind me that I can take anything, even my bad attitude to God. 

"@JoyceMeyer: It's pretty easy to get negative, downcast and looking at your circumstances. But God is our glory and the lifter of our heads! (Psalms 3:3)" 

There are times when I get in bad moods. Everyone gets them. Hormones, circumstances, kids, bills, you name it, there is a reason for a bad mood around any and every corner. We have to learn to move past the bad attitude and into the peace and joy of the Lord.

How do we do that? Well, here are three things that work for me.


1. Read the Word - John 1:1 says the "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." Reading the Bible allows me to get closer to God because it is filled with Him. It is His Word. It may only be a chapter or two. I may not get everything there is to glean out of it, but it preps my head and my heart to begin to change back toward God and away from my bad attitude. 
2. Listen to great music. - I don't espouse listening to just anything. There is some great music out there, but music that focuses on God, that edifies is what I love. Praise and Worship Music. Music can remind us of our smallness and God's perfect brilliance. It is something that takes our focus off ourselves and puts it back where it belongs: on the Father! 

I love Spotify. (I am not getting paid to say so.) There is a free version (with commercials) and an upgradable version as well. Check it out here.  On this program you can send playlist to friends on your Facebook account or tweet out what you are listening to.

(Add me to your Facebook friends here, and I will send you a song I love if you message me from Spotify!)
3.Pray. - Sounds easier to say than to do sometimes. I know that when I feel "yucky" I don't think God particularly wants to hear about it, but I would be wrong!  Even King David, who God delighted in, was downcast a time or two. 

"Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted in me? hope thou in God: for I shall yet praise him for the help of his countenance." Psalms 42:5

God wants to hear from you. Just be real and honest. Tell Him what is on your heart and mind. He is the lifter of our heads!


Join the Conversation

What do you do to get out of a funk? Share your answer below. (it does not have to be a "spiritual" answer, just share what works for you!)


Subscribe! 

Like what you read here? More great content is available several times a week, but I understand how busy you are. That is why I offer a free newsletter that sends you an email of the same great content straight to your inbox! You won't have to worry about missing a thing. I will never share your information with anyone, and if you sign up today, you can get a free copy of my children's eBook The Gardener and the Sapling: A Modern Parable. Click the link below and subscribe now!


Subscribe to our newsletter

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,