This page has moved to a new address.

The Power of Personality

A Year in the Spiritual Life... Discover Your Purpose: The Power of Personality

Friday

The Power of Personality

Little Orphan Annie Columbia Pictures 1982 Creative Commons

"Why I Oughta!" 

She was spunky. Full of life, and oh so loyal. Little Orphan Annie (Columbia Pictures, 1982) was an icon of my childhood.

I loved that she never left a room without leaving people changed forever.

I love that she could break out into a fight or break out into song just as easily!

My childhood was filled with loud and off key renditions of "Tomorrow". I wanted a shaggy dog and a brood of orphans to lead.

When someone asked me, "who do you want to be when you grow up?" I answered "Annie!"

So here I am, all grown up...now what?

Reality Is...

If I had to measure my expectations to my reality I would fall short. I think we all do. No one can live up 100% to a childhood icon. However, if I take stock of my life and look at the core of who I am I can say I am a close match.

I too can break out into a fight or song with ease. I rarely enter a room and people don't notice. When I leave, eventually the quiet that follows announces I have left the room. Whether that is a good thing or not I cannot say!

My hope is that I have an impact that is positive and not negative on the people I encounter.

When God made me, I did not get curly ginger hair. Though, I am sad about that more than you know since so many in my family are gingers. (Maybe this is one reason I like Jeff Goins so much!)

I was however given a decent singing voice and a penchant for leadership. I am spunky and pretty loyal. I love people and I have been in tough times in my life too: just like Annie! These things in me identified with a fictional character who was brought to life on the big screen during the 1980s.

They are the same characteristics that drive me today. I have developed other areas of personality and character over the years, but the ones I admired as a child are still very active in my life. They are part of my design.

I am sharing this with you because I want to touch on something that isn't as spiritual as we normally talk about, and I think we miss out in the body all the time: personality.

Everyone Has One

Personality is as individual as a fingerprint. It is what makes you an individual distinguishable from all other humans. We all have the same physicality, but personality is first designed by God then developed throughout our life.

Sometimes circumstances or insecurities affect our personality. If we are naturally a more introverted person, then our quiet natures might be amplified by an insecurity or because you married an outgoing person you may just become even more quiet in the public moments.

If you are loud like me, you may feel like it was not a fun and successful night out with friends unless everyone talked and laughed at least once. If you find a shy person in the room, you may spend extra time talking to that person just to make everyone happy.

Regardless of your personality leanings, whether you fall at one extreme or another or sit comfortably somewhere in the middle, you were designed that way for a reason.

Paul covers this in 1 Corinthians.

 "If our bodies were only an eye, we couldn’t hear a thing. And if they were only an ear, we couldn’t smell a thing. But God has put all parts of our body together in the way that he decided is best. A body isn’t really a body, unless there is more than one part."

Be You

Be the person God designed you to be. Life may have kicked some dust up onto you, but that can be washed away. If you notice there seems to be something stuck or clinging to you that is not true to your design, then that can be refined out of you too. 

You, your laugh, your smile, your quirks, YOU were made you for a reason. Be the best "You" you can be and let God continually have way in your life. With God adding to what He already made you to be, there is no where you can't go and nothing you can't do! 

As a friend of mine says, "personality is required!" 


Join the Conversation


When you were a kid, did you strongly identify with a TV, movie or comic book character like I did? Who was it? 


Like what you read here? More great content is available several times a week, but I understand how busy you are. That is why I offer a free newsletter that sends you an email of the same great content straight to your inbox! You won't have to worry about missing a thing. I will never share your information with anyone, and if you sign up today, you can get a free copy of my children's eBook The Gardener and the Sapling: A Modern Parable. Click the link below and subscribe now!


Subscribe to our newsletter
  

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,