This page has moved to a new address.

Not Made for a Cookie-Cutter Life

A Year in the Spiritual Life... Discover Your Purpose: Not Made for a Cookie-Cutter Life

Friday

Not Made for a Cookie-Cutter Life

Photo Credit: (c) Mikella Hammonds

What's Next? 

“So what are your plans now that you have graduated?”

I get this question a lot, and I dread it every time because my answer is always the same...I don’t know.

I pray often about God’s will for my life, asking Him to lead me down the right path.

What is your “right path”? Do you know what it is? Are you on it, or do you feel like you mistakenly passed it up?

Sometimes, I feel as if I’m not on a path, like I’m lost in the woods. At times, it feels as if everyone else has moved on to their next phase in life, and I’m still stuck in the same place.

Are you feeling the same way? Read Jeremiah 29:11. This is my favorite verse especially right now considering the season of life I am in.

“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”

God has Plans for Me. 


I may not know what they are yet, but I just have to trust that my life, my dreams, and my future are safe in His hands. This applies to you as well. He has a specific plan for every single person, and it’s not what some would call a “cookie-cutter” plan. It’s personal.

It fits you and no one else.

This is something that I have to keep in mind when I feel pressured to do what everyone else is doing.

The world says that in order to be successful, you have to go to college, get a career that brings in lots of money so that, one day, you will have enough to retire and live out the rest of your days worry-free. This is that “cookie-cutter” plan I was talking about.

By no means am I saying that any of those things are bad, but I don’t believe that God intended for everyone to follow the same path.

Living With The Pressure of the Unknown.


Because I just graduated high school, I feel a lot of pressure to go to college.

However, I have never felt a major draw towards college. I often pray “God, where do you want me? What is the next step?”

I considered a number of different options, but none of them seemed quite right. So, I decided to stay at home for a little longer, work a job, save up some money, and continue to pray about it.

Of course, there are times when it worries me that I don’t have a clear plan in my near future; and I’m definitely not going to sit around and wait for that plan to come to me.

I will continue to seek it as I seek the Lord. Though it is a trying season of life, I know it is a growing one as well.

It Comes Down To Trust.


Sure, I have had my moments. I've cried, gotten angry and frustrated, felt confused and alone; but, still, I remember that God has a perfect plan for my life.

I also try to remember that God’s timing is not my timing.....at all.

I am the type of person that likes to know what I am getting into before I get to it. I like to be prepared, and I’m not that fond of surprises. So this season I am in is a stretch for me. I just continue to trust and pray.

Proverbs 3:5-6 says, “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to Him, and He will make your paths straight.” 

So, if you are in a season where you are not sure what to do next or your life’s purpose seems unclear, just trust Him. Pray continually, and never stop seeking God’s will for your life because He always knows what’s best.

Join the Conversation: 

Do you know what your God-given purpose is yet, or are you still trying to figure it out?

Meet Our Guest

Eighteen year old Mikella Hammonds was home schooled and recently graduated in the Spring of 2012. As a pastor’s kid (PK for those in the know) she grew up actively involved in the church. Her favorite things are photography, singing, shopping, and playing the piano. Like any teenager, she also loves hanging out with her friends. She is the eldest of four children and all around amazing kid. (Don't tell her I said that!) 

Labels: , , , , , , , ,