This page has moved to a new address.

The Shield of Faith: More than a Crutch

A Year in the Spiritual Life... Discover Your Purpose: The Shield of Faith: More than a Crutch

Wednesday

The Shield of Faith: More than a Crutch





Fulfilled by Faith


There is something satisfying about faith. 

Many have called faith or religion a "crutch". I am okay with this. Do you know why? Because we are weak. We need someone, something bigger than ourselves, to believe in. Yet faith is so much more than a crutch. 

"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding." Proverbs 3:5

There is No Comparison


Atheist believe in science. They look into microscopes at the creation and forget about the Creator. I choose to look to and lean on the Creator and enjoy, even marvel, at His creation. 

Some believe in power. They seek it like birds of prey. They live, breathe, hunt, for power. The problem is there is always a bigger bird out there, hunting them. 

Some people seek money. They lean and rely on money. Money that changes value depending on the market, the country, the time of year and even the person who has it. They seek money that they cannot spend in multiple lifetimes and wonder why they are never satisfied. 

Only God never changes. In Him our weakness is exchanged for His strength. There is power in His name. He owns cattle on a thousand hills, so money does not matter. He is the one in whom we rely. He is the one worthy of pursuit and worthy of our trust. 

This faith is what sustains us. It protects us. It shields us



"Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might. Put on the whole armor of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. Wherefore take unto you the whole armor of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness; And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace; Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked. And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God: Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints"


Strong's Concordance says faith means this: belief, conviction, trust, holy fervor, and fidelity. Faith in God's ability to take care of you, of your circumstances, of your enemies, of your finances, of your loved ones, of your health, and anything else you may face makes the lies the enemy whispers and sometimes shouts suddenly become quiet. 

Even with the smallest faith, great things are possible. With trust that God is true, that He never changes, that His promises about you are YES AND AMEN, and that you have a purpose, then there is no attack that can stand. 

“Because you have little faith,” he said. “I assure you that if you have faith the size of a mustard seed, you could say to this mountain, ‘Go from here to there,’ and it will go. There will be nothing that you can’t do.” Matthew 17:20 CEB 

The Stand


One day I know that I will sit in heaven, surrounded by the ones that were before me, and I will hear their  stories of faith and they will wait with baited breath to hear mine. When miracles were just moments when faith in God was met by His promise in His timing.

When I will sit with men and women written about in Hebrews 11 and will hear their stories from the ones who lived it.

"What more can I say? I would run out of time if I told you about Gideon, Barak, Samson, Jephthah, David, Samuel, and the prophets. Through faith they conquered kingdoms, brought about justice, realized promises, shut the mouths of lions, put out raging fires, escaped from the edge of the sword, found strength in weakness, were mighty in war, and routed foreign armies." Hebrews 11:32-34 

For now, I will stand. I will stand against an enemy that is out to steal, kill and destroy. I will stand in the gap for the lost, and cry like the one in the desert saying:  "Call on the name of the Lord all you who want to be saved!"

I will stand with my brothers and sisters in Christ. Praying, believing for their miracles. I will believe for their financial, physical, spiritual, and emotional freedom. I will stand.

Even if circumstances say give up, I will stand. Even if the battle rages around me, I will stand. I will stand when I am tired, I will stand when others fall, and I will stand when I have done all I know to do, and have come to the end of my knowledge: I will stand.

Believing.

Knowing that God is still God. Nothing can change that, and Faith in Him can change everything.



Subscribe to our newsletter


Join the Conversation: 

Do you have a story about a moment when your faith met God's timing and promise? Share it in the comments below.




Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,