This page has moved to a new address.

When God Speaks

A Year in the Spiritual Life... Discover Your Purpose: When God Speaks

Wednesday

When God Speaks

A STORM WAS BREWING

Dark clouds began to gather. Huge plumes of thunderheads began to roll trough the area.

As I drove I became fascinated with the beauty of the impending turbulence. Then, off to my left, I saw this.

And I heard God say "Be still."

I do not know if you can see it. The only camera I had with me was from my ancient 3GS iPhone. The grey clouds are pressing all around and in the middle is one small white cloud. To me, it almost looks like a person floating on their back in a pool of blue. So when God whispered "be still" I got it.

Then I opened a book I got in the mail from WaterBook Mulmomah publishing (affiliate) A Sudden Glory: God's Lavish Response to Your Ache for Something More by Sharon Jaynes. I began to read the first chapter and read these words.

"When I started to get up, I felt God's invisible strong hand holding me back. He wasn't finished. 'Be still and know I am God', He seemed to say. Cease striving."A Sudden Glory, page 6. 

Okay, the message is coming through.

THE THIRD TIME IS A CHARM

Then I reached down between the seats looking for something and pulled out an old journal. It fell open.  There, written in my own hand was this:

Psalms 46:10a "Be still, and know that I am God."

"Be Still" 
Quiet
Calm
Focused
Relaxed
Trusting

"and Know"
be assured
understand
comprehend
grasp
fully illuminate your inner man

"That 'I Am' God" 
Who made the universe
Who does not change
Who loves you
Who made a Way for you
Who healed you
Who called you
Who leads you
Who guides you
Who has a plan for you 
Who made you for a purpose
Who makes a way when there seem to be no way. 

Be Still and know I AM God. 

When God speaks, He confirms His words by His very nature. He is good and faithful. I am hard-headed and hard-hearted. This is why I need to hear this three times in one day. Now I need to figure out how to be "still" when all my life I have been a "Charge that Hill, and Take that Mountain" kind of girl. 

This is going to be interesting. 

Join the Conversation: 


Have you got advice on how to be (and stay) still in God's presence?  Share in the comments below. 


Labels: , , , , , , , ,