This page has moved to a new address.

No More Lies: Part One "Control Freak"

A Year in the Spiritual Life... Discover Your Purpose: No More Lies: Part One "Control Freak"

Thursday

No More Lies: Part One "Control Freak"

Graphic by Dayna Bickham: Creative Commons

Lie Number One

I have left this lie alone too long. It's sat there, alone and unattended. It has become absorbed into my psyche and now I have to get rid of it. 

It's origins are from the garden of Eden itself. The ultimate rebellion against God. 

"I am in control." 

As a kid I bucked my parents. I wrestled away as much control from them as I could. I thought other peoples' fear of me gave me control. All it did was alienate my family from me. 

As an adult I bucked against pastors, bosses, and co-workers. As a wife I  manipulated and threw fits to get my way just to make this lie true. It only caused pain and emotional separation from my husband. 

This is all to serve the lie that I am in control. 

The truth is I was bought with a price. I am no longer my own. I have been created to be used by God, and that takes complete surrender. 

The truth is I am NOT in control. I have surrendered. When my will rises up, I have to repent. This is nothing but pride and pride is sin. 

"Do not love or cherish the world or the things that are in the world. If anyone loves the world, love for the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world—the lust of the flesh [craving for sensual gratification] and the lust of the eyes [greedy longings of the mind] and the pride of life [assurance in one’s own resources or in the stability of earthly things]—these do not come from the Father but are from the world [itself]. And the world passes away and disappears, and with it the forbidden cravings (the passionate desires, the lust) of it; but he who does the will of God and carries out His purposes in his life abides (remains) forever." 1 John 2:15-17 AMP

The world is temporary. The things of this life are fleeting. I have to remember that moment to moment. The lie "I am in control" only causes worry and anxiety when my world is not perfect-- and my world is never perfect. 

I will not live my life rebelling against God anymore. I will submit to His ways, because they are perfect.  

Easier Said than Done

I won't kid myself. This will be harder than it sounds. It all comes down to this: I must decrease, so He can increase. 

I have to kill my flesh. 

"And He said to all, If any person wills to come after Me, let him deny himself [[a]disown himself,[b]forget, lose sight of himself and his own interests,[c]refuse and give up himself] and take up his cross daily and follow Me [[d]cleave steadfastly to Me, conform wholly to My example in living and, if need be, in dying also]." Luke 9:23 AMP
There are three things I can do to remove the lie "I am in control" from my life. 

  1. I can surrender. - I do not see the big picture, but God does. I have limited vision, He has a vision for me. 
  2. I can bend.- As a sculptor I know what unyielding clay feels like. It is hard and cold. I will put myself in the hands of the Master Potter and let His love warm me and make me soft. I will let His grace and mercy shape me. 
  3. I can trust.- This life is all about faith. I will trust and have faith that the One who made me, Called me and Saved me, has a way for me. I will lean on Him even when I do not understand, and I remember that my finite way of looking at the world is never going to be enough. 

Join the Conversation:

What about you? Do you struggle with this lie? Are you like me: a control freak? Share your comments and thoughts below. 

  

Labels: , , , , , , , ,